Having a business relationship with an individual or a business doesn’t mean it's okay to add them to your mailing list. Creating and maintaining healthy contact lists is a vital part of email marketing.
If you automatically add contacts or if your sign up process is unclear, recipients may flag your email as spam. In these cases, either email recipients did not recognize you or did not want your emails to begin with.
Spam complaints are the number one influence on your reputation. It is in your best interest to do everything you can to avoid recipients clicking the spam button.
- Do get permission from the recipient to receive your message.
- Send Opt-in confirmation emails.
- Do stay in contact with recipients. If you haven’t contacted recipients in six months, reconfirm their acceptance.
- Do use data from your CRM, tracking tools, or qualified leads.
- Do monitor your bounce rates. A high bounce rate can damage deliverability and result in account suspension.
- Do ask subscribers to whitelist you. Encourage them to add you to their safe senders/contact list.
- Do make your sign-up process clear. Explain what email recipients are signing up for, when they will start receiving emails, and how often they can expect to hear from you.
- Do use a consistent sender name and email address.
- Do use a subject line that truthfully describes the content of your email.
- Do segment your list. Have a master list and create groups that you want to target with specific messages.
- Do grow your list organically. If you have purchased a list, consent is not transferable and using these types of lists is not a best practice.
- Do make it clear how to unsubscribe from a mailing. Always include an unsubscribe link. Add unsubscribes to the Global Suppression list.
- Do send emails on a regular basis.
- Do send emails that provide value either by educating or describing the resolution of a problem.
- Do use Contact Forms.
Learn more about email marketing
- How to Manage Global Opt-In Emails for Individual Contacts
- How to Set Up Global Opt-In Emails for a Contact List
- How to Personalize Your Opt-In Confirmation Email
- How to Locate the Opt-In Status of a Contact
- 7 Tips to Help You Avoid the Dreaded Spam Filter
- Four Common Email Marketing Mistakes SMB's Make
- Your Email Marketing Journey and the Danger of Being Blacklisted